Historic Photo: Alpine Cafe Marks a New Glarus Turning Point
An early-1960s view of the Alpine Cafe at 500 1st Street captures New Glarus as its business community turned toward Swiss-themed tourism while the village’s older agricultural economy, represented by a tractor dealership, began to fade.
At first glance, this historic photograph is simply a colorful view of the Alpine Cafe, once located in the building now occupied by Rusty Raven at 500 1st Street. Look more closely, however, and the image tells a much larger story about a community remaking itself.
The building was constructed by N.C. Duerst in 1872 with a traditional front-gabled roof. By the time this photograph was taken, its original 19th-century form had been transformed into an elaborate commercial interpretation of a Swiss chalet.
Dark wood siding, green shutters, heart-shaped cutouts, decorative trim and a covered side balcony gave the restaurant an unmistakably Alpine appearance. Swiss canton shields were scattered across the front, while American and Swiss shields were paired prominently near the peak of the roof.
A large neon “Alpine Cafe” sign projected from the corner of the building. Smaller signs beneath it advertised “Cheese · Fondue” and “Beef Sauerbraten.” Across the front, old-world lettering announced “Lunches,” “Alpine Cafe” and “Dinners,” while a small sign above the entrance assured customers that the restaurant was “Air Conditioned.”
Remaining content is for paid members only.
Please subscribe to any paid plan to unlock this article and more content.
Subscribe NowSign up for our New Glarus 360 newsletters
Breaking news, things to do and alumni updates—delivered.