Historical Photo: Strickler’s Market on Second Street
A postcard view of Strickler’s Market recalls a Second Street business that grew from a family meat market into a grocery and sausage operation, all behind one of New Glarus’ most memorable midcentury Swiss-style downtown storefronts.
With its broad wooden balcony, carved railings, green shutters and overflowing geraniums, Strickler’s Market presented a memorable Swiss welcome on Second Street in New Glarus. The photograph captures the family business during its mature years, when it combined a neighborhood grocery with a growing meat and sausage operation.
Behind that chalet-style storefront stood a much older commercial building. The brick structure at 421 Second St. was built in 1904 by Marcus F. Hoesly, a grandson of members of New Glarus’ original 1845 colony.
Swiss immigrant Eugene Strickler and his family began operating their meat business there around 1920. What started as a meat market developed into a full grocery, allowing customers to purchase everyday provisions along with the family’s fresh and processed meats.
The Strickler family continued expanding the business over the following decades. Palmer “Butch” Strickler joined his father, Eugene, and brother Robert in the family operation after serving in World War II.
Remaining content is for paid members only.
Please subscribe to any paid plan to unlock this article and more content.
Subscribe NowSign up for our New Glarus 360 newsletters
Breaking news, things to do and alumni updates—delivered.